Thanks to Chelsea’s heroic actions, the public learned the following startling truths:
- Most Guantanamo detainees were innocent.
- Deliberate civilian killings by U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan went unpunished.
- Thousands of civilian casualties were never acknowledged publicly.
- Donald Rumsfeld and General Petraeus helped support torture in Iraq.
- And most notably, a video of U.S. soldiers murdering a civilian family and two Reuters journalist from an Apache helicopter.
See even more of What WikiLeaks revealed
PVT Manning is currently eligible to receive mail from anyone who wishes to write.
Unfortunately, the address must be marked “Bradley Manning,” but PVT Manning will be happy to accept letters and postcards that refer to her with her chosen name Chelsea.
The reason is due to the Obama Administration’s refusal to recognize Chelsea as a women, disregarding the fact that two army behavioral health specialists diagnosed her with gender dysphoria before the trial.
There are restrictions on what you can send. The military will reject any mail that violates postal regulations or contains obscenity, blackmail, contraband or threats.
Her legal team is currently responsible for ensuring that she has sufficient funds in her detainee account to purchase items such as stamps, envelopes, toothpaste, etc.
Incoming mail will be returned to the sender if, in the opinion of the confinement facility, falls into any of the following categories: 1) Contains inflammatory material or advocates escape, violence, disorder or assault; 2) Directly or indirectly threatens the security, safety or order of the facility; 3) Contains coded or otherwise undecipherable language that prevents adequate review of the material.
Click here for more guidelines on writing to political prisoners.